Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Music to my subconcsious

This morning, I was able to get to the terminal at almost 9:00. As I was waiting for the next FX to come along, I heard a Visayan rendition of a popular song played in parties and discos.

At first, I thought the song is about a party that the singer and his companions joined one night. They had fun in that party and later on the lead singer asked one of his friends for a prepaid load of three hundred pesos so he can call someone to say hello-lo-lo-lo-lo.

The music got stuck in my mind and I sang it, or at least a part of it, in the office. One of my officemates knew the song an since she is Visaya, she told me my interpretation of the lyrics was wrong.

What the song actually told is that, yes the guys did join a party and had fun but among those served for them to eat is what we call "butete." They ate the butete and were poisoned by the food. It resulted to them feeling dizzy (nahilo-lo-lo-lo-lo).

On my way home, I now have a better grasp at what the song means.

As luck would have it, I heard the song again as the radio station the jeep I was taking was tuned in to played that same music.

It was bad enough that I was playing the song in my head in the office, now, I am still playing it in my subconscious up until the time I am about to sleep.

Sheesh!

No comments: